How Words Can Kill,

Words Can Be Deadly,

Think before you speak.

Words make a difference. Not exactly what you speak, but how you talk it. Once a writer has completed his 80,000-word art, they often find that work has begun. I recently rewrote my manuscript from 315 pages down to 265 pages in length. You spent 2 years obtaining 315 pages, however, does one as if by magic cut back it by fifty pages? When you eat, you look at what you are eating. When you write, you look at what you write. It's called planning.

Everyone has their weaknesses, whether it’s chocolate chip cookies, or writing words that don’t help your story. When it comes to planning, there are some words or phrases that you need to cut down on, such as ... chocolate, ice cream, or cookies. I'm kidding. But deep down, the word “love” is one of my demons. It’s like I use it here and there, and then look down and see that I’ve used it many times in the same section.

Not that I’m always saying it’s bad, but it’s like saying you don’t want to sound like a country girl, right? Now that you have a list of words, you need to look to keep your story from feeling swollen.

1. Love - If this is "like" something, it is NOT that. Giving accurate explanations and applying appropriate actions make learning more enjoyable.

2. Really - This is a flabby fix. Try to do it without it, or better yet but try to get a stronger name than the one you are changing. For example instead of, "I'm really hungry." Try "I'm hungry."

3. So - The word "So" is an unnecessary guarantee. Like the word "Love", it can be addictive. "So, what you really mean by ..." will read better by saying, "You mean ..."

4. Up, Down - usually these words are not needed. They are often unemployed. Example: "I sat down on the bed." it could be, "I stayed in bed." Now, if you need to "lookup", that's fine. But don't say, "look up at the clouds in the sky." Just say, "Look at the clouds."

5. That - If the sentence makes sense after removing "that," delete it. For example, "This is the most amazing book I've ever read." would be, "This is the most amazing book I've ever read."

6. Major - This is a weak comment. Replace the more accurate thing. For example, rather than "He was a great man." Try, "She was six feet tall and weighed 250 pounds."

7. Suddenly - "Suddenly" means immediately and without warning, but using the word "suddenly" slows down the action and warns your reader. Do you know what could be better? Just spit it out. Instead of saying, "Suddenly, I heard a scream of blood." It says, "I heard a cry full of blood."

8. Didn't - This is referred to as a bad building. Students do not like it when you tell them what is wrong. They like it when you tell them what the thing is. For example, you could say, "The actor didn't remember his lines." or, "The player has forgotten his lines."

9. He said - Many writers have a different view of the word, but here is my opinion. One hamburger won’t kill you, but if you eat at McDonald’s three times a day for 20 years ... what happens is not their fault. In other words, if you have an entire discussion page after the actual "said, said", stop it. Students are smart enough to follow without having to "say" all the time.

10. Very much - In this case, no one can explain why he is better than Robin Williams.

"So, avoid using the word 'too much because you are lazy. A man is not too tired, he is weak. Don't be too sad, use morose. do it in your news ”- Dead Poet Society

Are there any other filling words or phrases you can do without it? No doubt. These are just the most common ones I have to remind myself of. As I was writing this article, I deleted the word "Just" half the time twelve times, so I think you can add that to the list. The thing to remember is that if you know you are using a particular word or phrase too much, so does your student. To keep your readers turning all the pages as quickly as possible, you need to keep up with the pace. Do not use ten words when six do. Writing a letter requires perseverance, inspiration, and inspiration. Writing a good book requires planning.

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url